|2010 - 2011 CALENDAR||Light refreshments follow each program.|
October 10, 2010
|Yiddish Vinkl Film Opens
The Minneapolis Yiddish Vinkl will screen the film, "Uncle Moses", Sunday, October 10, 2010, 10:00 a.m. at the Sabes JCC.
Restored 1932 film with legendary actor Maurice Schwartz Yiddish with English subtitles. Factories and tenement life in the Lower Eastside of New York. An immigrant becomes a wealthy factory owner in New York City and hires landsmen from the old country. He wants relationship with the 'radical' daughter of one of his employees. Complications arise.
Light refreshments follow film.
Vinkl members, no charge. Guests, $3.00 for the film.
November 7, 2010
Vinkl Celebrates 18 (Chai)
Years with gala Concert
Presenting renown Klezmer musician, Yale Strom and Vocalist Elizabeth Schwartz
Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010, Sabes JCC Auditorium. 2:00 p.m. $5.00 Desert reception follows.
The entire community will "kvell" at this "freylakh" event. There will be a new spin on old music. Composer and musician extraordinaire, Yale Strom and fascinating and versatile vocalist Elizabeth Schwartz will delight all ages. You are warmly welcomed to this special event.
- TIME Magazine "This maverick does so many things with such skill and vision, he's in a league of his own."
- Award winning Klezmer and Jazz artist. Author. Ethnographer . Playwright. Symphony composer. Film documentarian.
- "The Absolutely Complete Introduction to Klezmer" CD and Songbook (2006) have been featured on Top Ten Album of the Year lists.
- "Garden of Yidn" CD on Canada' Top 20 Music List. (13 CD's)
- Music composer and background artist for Lenoard Nimoy's show NPR (National Public Radio.)
Background musician for many films.
- He's traveled to the Ukraine, Slovakia, Belarus, Germany, Russian, Poland, Romania and Moldovoa.
His research and interviews with Rom musicians has done much to advance our knowledge of what music was like when the archetypical Klezmer and gypsies roamed the countryside and shared repertoire.
- Strom has composed "New Jewish Music" based on his travels. He cOmbines Klezmer with Khasidic melodies as well as Rom, Jazz, classical, Balkan, Arabic and Sephardic motifs.
- Performs with his group The Hot Pstromi's
- Master violin teacher
- Currently on staff as Artist-in - Residence at San Diego State University.
Schwartz -- The Voice of Klezmer
-San Diego Jewish Times "If Mother Earth had a voice, I imagine it would sound like Elizabeth Schwartz"
- Audiences will be treated to her dusky timbre that has been hailed at "soulful", "haunting" and "passionate".
- Versatile-- sings upbeat Klezmer tunes, is a Jazz stylist, and exhibits a khazan's cantorial quality.
- Performs regularly across North America, Central, Eastern, and Northern Europe.
- Concerts sold out in two largest synagogues in Europe, Budapest and Strasbourg.
- Vocalist on award winning CD "Garden of Yidn". She sings Yiddish, Hebrew and Ladino.
- Vocalist on Naxos World release "Cafe Jew Zoo".
- Schwartz is the subject of the documentary "Rumenye, Rumenye" directed by acclaimed Romanian filmaker Rada Gabrea.
- Vocalist with the Hot Pstromi's.
December 12, 2010
Members with Annalee Odessky and Martin Bush,
Vocabulary Lesson with Markle Karlen,
Piano selections with Rita Lusky and
Singing: Ruth Stein, Jerry Siegel.
More to be announced
January 9, 2011
|The Tuesday Shmoozday Group with some Poetry
and Prose -- Forsitzer (chairperson) Dorothy
More poems of the late Avram Sutzkever and others
February 13, 2011
|Love and Marriage -- auf Yiddish
March 6, 2011
Sabes JCC Auditorium
Shpil (Purim Play)
Music, Merriment, Colorful Costumes, Noisy Groggers
Forsitzers, Lev Mailer, and Gitele Eisner
Lights! Camera! Action! Not to be missed!
April 10, 2011
The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire
Joe Rozenberg and Max Elkin are Forsitzers (chair persons)
Remembering and honoring our past
May 22, 2011
Zingn un shmoozn mit Yankl Siegel
Jerry Siegel leads us through a musical program and sing-along before we adjourn for the summer.
with Rita Lusky, Max Elkin, and Lionel Davis
We invite everyone to come and enjoy some new melodies and sing and sway along to old favorites.
Light refreshments follow the program.
This is our last meeting until we start up again September 11, 2011.
|Summer 2011||Please go to http://www.derbay.org/novi to register today.|